Follow Your Strengths is so excited to welcome our new intern, Cally Reed, to the team! We’re excited for the semester ahead! Get to know Cally a little bit here…
- Hometown: Waterloo, Iowa
- Year in School and Major: Senior, Communication Studies, University of Northern Iowa
- What are your Top 5 Strengths? Belief, Input, Developer, Individualization, Responsibility
- What got you interested in StrengthsFinder and pursuing an internship with Follow Your Strengths? Two years ago, I was making some big decisions about the next steps to take in life, I needed to decide what I wanted to study, what would be most beneficial for me to study, and where in the world I wanted to study it. During this time of exploring options, I became interested in StrengthsFinder when I saw the book StrengthsFinder 2.0 on the shelf in a lobby of a church I was attending in Minneapolis. I was so intrigued by the book, that I went home that afternoon, googled the title of the book, and took the assessment right then and there. Fast forward to November 2015, where one blustery Monday evening I was able to join a group of women who are impacting our community for the better (Elementary Educators and Junior League members), to learn more about each of our unique talents and strengths at a Follow Your Strengths workshop. I was impressed with how beautifully Traci presented science-based research and easily made the research relevant to real life experiences. At the end of that two hour workshop, I felt compelled to walk to the front of the room to meet Traci, and to ask her about the possibility of an internship in the near future. Today, I’m thankful for StrengthsFinder 2.0 and Traci at Follow Your Strengths for coaching me to take notice of the natural bents I have as I approach and execute tasks (talents). I’m excited to be working towards exercising those natural talents in such a way that they actually become more mature strengths this semester as an intern at Follow Your Strengths!
- How do you incorporate Strengths into your various roles in life? Developer – I love to invest in people through hosting art parties at my house, having deep conversations with friends, and teaching people new skills (especially art skills!).
- Fun facts:
- I’m all about the local scene. I love spending time with people at shops Downtown Waterloo and Cedar Falls, perusing the bookshelves at the Cedar Falls Library, and going to summertime events like the College Hill Arts Festival, My Waterloo Days, and the Farmer’s Market.
- People and their cultures are fascinating to me, so it’s been great to be able to indulge in that interest through studying Communication at the University of Northern Iowa, and taking a few trips to experience and explore different countries around the world, and experience some of what makes up their distinct culture.
- I love every kind of skiing I’ve tried so far (water, cross-country, and downhill)!
- One of my favorite places to study or do some reading is while I’m taking a walk.
- My favorite color is purple.
- One of the things I’m excited that I get to do at Follow Your Strengths is getting to know you through the blog and on our Facebook page!